Literary Inspirations - BSC - Kristy's Great Idea - Mary Anne

Thursday, July 17, 2014


"I glanced at Mary Anne. She and I were still in our school clothes....Mary Anne was wearing a skirt and saddle shoes. Mary Anne's hair was, of course, in braids."

Poor Mary Anne. Her crazy dad made her keep her hair in braids and wear little kid clothes because he had issues after his wife/her mother died. For the first couple of books Mary Anne gets the short end of the stick when it comes to fashion descriptions. In fact, I think they mostly gloss over her and her pleated skirts and saddle shoes. I live for the day where I get to that book where she chops her hair and goes to the mall and tries on all the clothes that "new Mary Anne" would look great in. (Also, how do I remember that?!?! I haven't read that book since 4th grade - I don't even know which one that is!) But for now, it's simple shirts, skirts, and braids. Hang in there girl!

5 comments:

  1. You could have almost reused a Molly literary inspiration for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha you're right! I totally could have! Funny how molly was set in the 1940s and BSC was what, the 80s sometime?

      Delete
    2. Mary Anne's dad needs some counseling...

      Delete
  2. I loved "The Babysitters Club" and always felt the most like Mary Anne. It was the shy, quiet, brunette thing. I'm not really that way anymore, except for brunette :-) Visiting from the Arizona Bloggers Meetup on Facebook!

    JoAnn
    Whimsicle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JoAnn, thanks for stopping by! It's funny, as much as I wished I was Claudia as a kid, I was most like Mary Anne. I was a shy, quiet, (light) brunette as a kid who had overprotective parents. Thankfully not as strict as her dad though!!

      Delete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |