DIY: Potato Stamp Curtains

Tuesday, January 21, 2014



This DIY is so easy it almost feels like cheating. In fact, the hardest part is using a sewing machine, and you don't even have to do that if you don't want to. It's so simple a 6 year old could do it. Seriously, google "potato stamps" everything that comes up is based on teaching kids crafts. It's very heartening because if some 5 year olds can do this, well so can I! 

Materials Needed:
- Fabric for the curtains - I used 108" bleached muslin from Joann Fabrics and divided it in 2 so each panel is 54" wide
- A potato
- Knife for cutting out the design in the potato
- Paint - I used acrylic paint from the craft store, but I don't plan on washing these. I have no idea how this type of paint will do in a washing machine. Use fabric paint if you want to wash the curtains. 
- Sewing machine or iron-able hemming tape to hem the curtains 


Step 1: Figure out the design you want. That 5 year old can probably make a straighter line that I can, so instead of free handing anything I went into Illustrator, created a triangle, and printed it out. 

Step 2: Cut one of the ends off the potato. I cut about 1/3 off so I could have a solid base to hold while stamping. 

Step 3: Cut your design into the potato. 


Step 4: If you want straight lines, measure and draw them onto the fabric lightly with pencil.

Step 5: Dip the potato in the paint and stamp it onto the fabric, following the lines. I wanted different shades so I used the stamp 3-4 times before dipping it back into the paint. If you want a more uniform look, re-dip the stamp after every use. Let dry


Step 6: Hem the curtains. I folded over the edges 1/4" and then 1/2" and pinned down. Then I sewed a straight line down each of the sides to finish them. To make the rod pocked, fold the top of the panels over 2" and sew it down.  I hung the curtains, marked where they hit the floor, then took them down and hemmed the bottom.


And that's it! If you don't want to sew anything, apply iron on tape to the long sides, fold over, and iron so they are secure. You can do the same for the rod pocket at the top and the hem at the bottom. If you're still not sure about this, get your kid, cousin, or neighborhood child to help you because according to google, this is a kid's only project. Whatever google, potatoes are cheap and easy to make stamps from and so much more than kid's crafts (or delicious fries).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |