Modern American Girl - Samantha Learns a Lesson

Thursday, June 7, 2012



Samantha Learns a Lesson


Ok,  I've rewritten this post 4 times today, and it just refuses to save or post. So let's try this one more time, shall we? I remember 3 things that stood out in this book as a kid. 1. If I would have lived back then I might have worked in a factory and then got my hair stuck in a machine and died. 2. She had some mad public speaking skills for a 9 year old. But then again, she went to some uppity all girls fancy pants school. Though now that I think about it, most schools in those days were probably uppity all girls or all boys schools. 3. SHE PASSED NOTES IN SCHOOL THROUGH A SCROLL IN HER DESK!! This was by far the coolest thing ever.

I also really like how she made everyone think that she was going to talk about progress and how great factories were, and instead was all "Factories suck! Down with the industrial revolution! Bring back Romanticism! Give me Coleridge, or give me death!!!"  Or you know, something like that. I like to think she grew up, joined the suffrage movement, went to college, and became an English Literature major with an emphasis in Romantic poetry or something.  But in the meantime, she's all class with a fascinator because they are awesome. 

1 comment:

  1. Fierceness. I would totally wear this teaching...minus the heels and fascinator (even though they're fab).

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |